Tuesday, December 05, 2006

STUDIES IN PERSONIFICATION 1

Ali Kirsch -
10"x10"
monotypes with collage
(printmaking, screen, found text, thread, pins)
2006





















Recently in my work I have been exploring different aspects of the human experience. There are two levels of my exploration, the first being that of a physical nature and the second being our mental and emotional condition.

I have been using monotype printing techniques juxtaposed with collage to explore this idea. All of this work was at one point part of a larger composition, from which I extracted components to create this series of smaller works.

I find the human experience both the conscious and the unconscious intriguing. How is it that our heart functions like a machine, never tiring, and always on cue? Why is it that we were created to breathe but sometimes our conscious state of being seems to suffocate us? We live with our own realities; I wanted to represent this in fragments. These are Maya Angelou’s words which I cut and reassembled to make the voice my own. I used her poems because she has a strong sense of identity, human struggle and triumph.

Ali Kirsch -
10"x10"
monotypes with collage
(printmaking, screen, found text, thread, pins)
2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home